We all feel very irritated when we get pimples or acne on our face. But what if we get the acne on our forehead? Obviously, none of us wants that to happen. Whether it’s our face or our forehead, pimples are something which we always hate. They are painful, and sometimes they leave scars on our skin.
- 1 Forehead Pimples Causes, Remedies and Prevention
Forehead Pimples Causes, Remedies and Prevention
We, people, try a lot of things to keep pimples away from our skin. But still, because of some reasons, these pimples or acne occur on our face and forehead. For the face, we have many options to treat the acne problem. But many of us are not aware of what to do when these occur at our forehead. Here, with the help of this article, we will give you the complete info about forehead pimples. Also, we will share about the causes and remedies of the forehead acne.
What are forehead Pimples?
Being close to our scalp and hair the forehead is now commonplace for acne to occur. Because of the hair and the scalp, the skin of the forehead remains oily most of the time. And the oil, dirt, and dandruff also clog the pores of the forehead. This all leads to the pimples on the forehead.
These pimples are like the small bumps on the forehead. They are mostly red or are either white or skin colored. When it’s on our face, we mostly get one or two pimples until and unless our skin is not very oily. But on your forehead, you will see many bumps coming together. They even cause a lot of itchiness also on the forehead. But we cannot blame one single thing to be the cause of these forehead pimples. Since there are many reasons for the occurrence of these forehead pimples. And you all need not worry if you are dealing with the problem of forehead acne. Because we do have the solution for it. But before knowing how to get rid of pimples on the forehead. You must identify the reasons and causes behind the forehead acne.
What causes forehead pimples?
There are numerous causes of forehead pimples and accordingly, we have the numerous treatments also. Majorly, it is being said that all over the main reason for forehead acne or pimples is the problem in the sebum or it’s malfunctioning. However, the sebum malfunctioning is caused because of several other reasons and they are the reasons for the forehead acne.
Before we move to all the causes, you all should know one more thing. Many of us associate the forehead pimples with the pimples on face or cheeks. But let us tell you the fact that forehead pimples are different and unlike the face pimples. And that is why we are sharing the causes with you to make you aware of it. So, that if you or anyone in your family is getting forehead pimples, so you should know what to do and should not treat it as a face pimple.
- Oily Scalp – Having an oily scalp is not a small issue, as it’s not only a problem for the forehead acne, but it also attracts dust. Because of the oily scalp, your forehead may also turn oily, and with dirt, it will clog the pores on your forehead. Once the pores are clogged, it’s obvious to get the plenty of forehead pimples.
- Dandruff – Don’t get confused that how can dandruff cause forehead pimples as they are on the scalp and hair not on the forehead. Yes, you are thinking right. But while combing or naturally also, dandruff can fall on your forehead or even on the face as well. And we all know this very well that dandruff causes fungi and other skin infections also. Even dandruff can also be responsible for clogging pores. All this cause skin irritation and infection as well. And as a result, the forehead acne or pimples appear.
- Clogged Pores – Now, this is the most common reason why forehead acne appears. And behind the clogged pores also there can be several reasons. Out of which the two we have just studied above. The skin pores can be caused by oil, dandruff, small dust particles, pollutants, and even sweat also along with the dust. So, when pores on the forehead are clogged, they set a perfect environment for the bacteria to develop and grow. And this causes the forehead pimples.
- Improper Cleansing of Face – Cleansing of the face is must, and it should be done at least two times in a day. But many times, people do not do cleansing properly especially the makeup. And also, after coming from outside, when it is required the most. This all leads to pores clogging. And that is why the forehead pimples occur.
- Improper Digestion – We have been told this thing many times when the pimples occur on our face. Because our digestion is somehow related to our skin. And if our digestion is not proper, then we may have to face forehead pimples or pimples on other places as well. And the worst part is that when the forehead pimples appear because of the improper digestion, then it’s not easy to tackle them by using any acne cream or ointment. According to a study in China, it is been said that you may face pimples on your forehead because of the problem in your digestive system. So, in this situation, we need to cure our digestion problem, so that the pimples do not come again and again.
- Hormonal Changes – Forehead Pimples are common for both men and women. But the forehead pimples which occur because of hormonal changes is majorly found in women only. Now, you can blame different things for the hormonal changes that occur in our body. And which causes this forehead acne and bumps. The reason can be puberty, menstrual cycle, and even the pregnancy also. During the time of such situation or changes in our body, it also causes the change in our skin functioning and hormones. And this leads to the breakout on our forehead and face as well.
- Too much stress – The connection between the stress and the pimples is ancient. And it takes very less time for a forehead pimple to appear when you are in stress. And it’s evident that after looking at your forehead with blisters you may get more stressed. The stress is also one of the reasons for the hormonal changes. And it sometimes increases the production of oil on our face. And as we read above only, how an oily face or scalp can cause forehead pimples by clogging our skin pores.
- Different types of medications – Sometimes, when we are under certain medications, then also forehead pimples start appearing. Now there can be various reasons for the same. If you are allergic to any medicine, then also you may see a lot of pimples appearing on your forehead. In case of medicines which are very reactive or which release the heat from the body can also cause forehead pimples. Because of some medication, the hormonal changes also happen, and this can also be one of the reasons for your forehead acne. Like the birth pill medications, do cause forehead acne or pimples. So, we suggest you take complete advice from your doctor about any medications.
- New or Different Make-Up and Skin Care Product – The cosmetics or the makeup products and the skin care products which we use, have chemicals in them. However, they are fully tested, but some of these products may not suit our skin type. Applying those make-up products and skin care products on our face may cause forehead pimples. Another reason is when you keep changing your make-up or skin care products frequently, as this may cause skin infection or irritation and can cause the breakout. Even there are many makeup products which clog the pores, and if proper cleansing is not done, they also lead to forehead pimples.
- Less Exfoliation and Over Exfoliation – Now when we talk about the exfoliation, then in both the cases whether it’s less exfoliation or over-exfoliation, both can be the cause behind forehead acne. If we will not exfoliate our skin properly or will exfoliate it very less, then we will not be able to remove the dead skin from our skin. The dead skin will then along with the oil can clog the pores and will cause forehead pimples. So, remember that exfoliate your skin once a week. Now that was about less exfoliation, but how over exfoliation can cause forehead acne, let’s know about that. We understand that exfoliation helps in getting rid of the dead skin and dirt present on our skin. But when it is over exfoliation, then our skin gets irritated and it may damage our skin also, this causes forehead acne. So, we suggest you exfoliate only once a week and not more than that.
- Use of hair products – We already read above, that how dandruff and an oily scalp can cause forehead acne. And similarly, using different hair products can also be the reason for forehead acne. The shampoos which we use have chemicals in them and they are not good for our scalp. Many times, our scalp becomes dry and flaky because these shampoos wash away the natural scalp oil as well. And these dry flakes then come on our forehead while combing and clog skin pores. Even, the hair oil which we use may leave our forehead and scalp in an oily condition causing forehead acne. And some other reasons for forehead acne because of hair products are the use of hair gel, hair wax, too much heat for hair drying and straightening, etc.
- Exposing more in the Sun – When we spend a lot of time out on a sunny day, our face becomes sweaty and oily at the same time. This type of face attracts dust and tiny pollutants a lot. It then causes the inflammation and itching on our skin. Because of the sweat, oil, and the dust in the environment, our skin pores get clogged. That is why one should either wear a good sunscreen or should cover his or her face when out on a sunny day.
- Using helmets or caps or headbands – It’s true that not everyone wears all of these or any of these. But for those who make use of helmets or caps or headbands, can easily get forehead acne. Because we all hardly clean our helmets or caps or headbands. Wearing them regularly makes them sweaty and dirty. And when they come in contact with our forehead skin, they cause acne.
- Dirty pillowcases or bed sheets – Now that’s what most people are unaware of, as they feel that their pillowcases or bedsheets are clean until they do not see some spot on it. When we sleep keeping our head and face on pillowcases or bedsheets, the oil from our scalp & face get in touch with the pillows. Also, the bacteria on our face and dandruff falls on pillow or bedsheet. This makes our pillow cases dirty but because it’s not visible, so we feel it’s clean. And every night when we go for sleep, the bacteria, dandruff, dust, oil, etc. from the pillow comes in contact with our forehead and face. This clogs our pores, causes skin infection, irritation, and that is how pimples appear on forehead and face.
- A lot of Sugary Food or Sweeteners – Yes, you are reading right! The sugar-related food items and the processed or packaged food which have added sugar in them are not good for the forehead acne. Because in many of these products, the sugar is present in high quantity, and eating an excess of sugar can cause forehead acne. When we consume sugar in excess, our blood sugar increases. And due to the increased level of our blood sugar, inflammation increases in our body. And our skin starts overproducing the sebum and oil. The excess of sebum and oil again clog the pores and that is why the acne or the pimples appear on our forehead.
- Unhealthy Diet – As per the study being done on the reason of forehead acne, the unhealthy diet was also listed as one of the causes for the forehead acne. It has been said that because of the unhealthy and unbalanced diet, the forehead pimples can occur. Like the food rich in carbs or starch, these all can cause forehead acne. Especially, the packaged or the processed food which we eat are completely unhealthy for us. And that is why the excess consumption of unhealthy diet is another cause for this problem.
- Skin-Related Conditions – There are many skin-related problems which can cause forehead acne. Like the boils which are caused because of the infected hair follicles, contact dermatitis where you can get acne or any other allergy by touching few things like detergent, rosacea which is also a skin related problem where one gets pimples on face including forehead.
How to get rid of Forehead Pimples?
We understand that how much these forehead pimples irritate you and how bad they look especially when there are plenty of small pimple bumps on your forehead. But we assure you, to provide you with the best solution to get rid of Forehead Pimples.
As now you are aware of the causes of forehead acne, so it will be very easy for you to cure your forehead acne using these different tips and remedies. Here, we will share with you the home remedies, diet changes, and the prescribed medicines also, which are helpful in getting rid of Forehead Pimples. But before that, there are some common tips which you should take care of if you want to get rid of forehead acne.
- Proper Cleansing of Skin – We have already read above that improper cleansing of skin can lead to forehead acne. Always do cleansing for taking off all the impurities like dead skin cells, pollutants, oil, etc. from the skin. Use a gentle and mild cleanser for cleaning your face. But this should be done at least two to three times a day.
- Skin Exfoliation – For the removal of dead skin cells, skin exfoliation is a must. But do it on once in a week to avoid any skin irritation. There are many natural homemade exfoliators also for exfoliating skin like brown sugar, oats, etc.
- Keep your pillow covers and bedsheet clean – Now you know how a dirty pillowcase can be the reason for forehead acne. Start washing and changing your pillow covers and bedsheets every week or if possible twice in a week.
- Clean your hat and headbands – Above we have discussed the consequences of using the same sweaty and dirty hat and headbands. Next time when you are going to wear it make sure it is clean or at least clean it. If possible avoid wearing hats.
- Keep your hair and scalp clean – An oily or scalp full of dandruff are also the causes for forehead acne. Clean your scalp and hair properly, so that dandruff gets clear and no oily scalp should be there. For dandruff, you can even use lemon as well.
Forehead Acne Home Remedies
Most of the time this forehead acne can be treated using home remedies only. There are many home remedies which are very effective in curing forehead pimples. Let’s read about them.
- Lemon Juice – Lemon juice is being used from many years for the treatment of pimples. The acidic property of lemon helps in getting rid of the bacteria and stops the formation of acne on the forehead. Also, it helps in controlling the production of sebum because of being astringent in nature. Take a small amount of juice and apply it on the affected area. Let it be on your face overnight. And wash it off in the morning. In a few days, it will clear out all the forehead acne and will also prevent forehead acne to occur again.
- Tomato Mask – Tomatoes also have the acidic and the antioxidant properties present in them. Applying tomatoes on the face can not only prevent the acne formation but can also reduce an existing acne by drying it out. It also helps in cleaning the scars which these acnes leave. For a tomato mask, you will not need anything extra other than tomato. Cut it into pieces and rub it in your forehead. After 20 to 25 minutes wash your face. If you do this regularly, it will surely benefit you.
- Aloe Vera – How can we forget Aloe when it is about any skin related issue. Aloe Vera helps in the treatment of most of the skin related problems. The antimicrobial properties of Aloe Vera help in clearing out the pimples and making forehead skin clear. You can take the Aloe Vera gel from its leaves or can use Aloe Vera gel which comes in the market. Apply Aloe Vera gel on your forehead and leave it overnight. In the morning, wash your face. In a few days, you will see no signs of pimples on your forehead.
- Tea Tree Oil or Lavender Oil – Both tea tree oil and lavender oil have effective properties for the treatment of forehead pimples. You can use any of the two, to get rid of pimples on the forehead. Both have antibiotic properties and they also help in eliminating bacteria causing pimples on forehead. Take a few drops of tea tree oil or lavender oil. Take a cotton swab and dip it in the oil. Apply it directly to the acne and the area around it. You will surely see the results after applying it for a few days.
- Sandalwood Paste – Being rich in medicinal properties, sandalwood can also be used for the treatment of forehead acne. It helps in reducing the inflammation caused by the acne. Also helps in eliminating the forehead pimples quickly. So, all you need to do is to make a paste of sandalwood and apply it every day on the pimples on your forehead. It helps in many ways, as it not only reduces the size of pimples, it also helps in reducing the itchiness and redness caused by the forehead pimples.
- Honey and Mustard Powder Paste – Honey and mustard both have different properties which not only heals the skin but also prevents the bacterial infection and can give a clear skin. Grind honey and mustard together to form a paste. Apply it on the acne on forehead and let it be there for 15-20 minutes. Then wash your face with water. If you will do it daily, soon the forehead acne will start vanishing.
- Clay Mask using essential oil – Clay Mask has many benefits and that is why people are using it for many years. Prepare a clay mask using tea tree oil and water. Now apply it on your forehead and the acne affected area. Leave it overnight and wash off in the morning. The clay mask along with the essential oil will help in drying out the pimples and will prevent the excess oil production also. This will help in getting rid of pimples on the forehead.
- Orange Peel – We are talking about orange peel, not the oranges. Yes, orange peel mask can also help in the treatment of forehead acne. Grind the orange peel in a thick paste using water. Apply the paste on your forehead. Let it get dry for 10 to 15 minutes. After that, wash your face clearly. This is very helpful for forehead acne removal.
- Garlic – Applying garlic paste or crushed garlic on forehead acne will help in getting rid of them quickly. But before applying it on your forehead, we suggest you apply it first on other skin parts like under knees or elbows to check whether it suits you or not.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Having the acidic and astringent properties, the apple cider vinegar helps to treat the forehead acne quickly. It controls the production of oil on your face and because of its anti-bacterial property, it helps in killing the bacteria that gives growth to forehead acne. Take a few drops of apple cider vinegar and apply it on the forehead pimples using cotton. Let it get dry for around 25 to 30 minutes, and then wash it off using water.
- Rose Water and Lemon Juice Mixture – Rosewater and lemon juice both have several properties to kill the acne bacteria, to provide clear skin and to reduce acne size also. We already read about the properties of lemon juice above. Rose water also has properties for toning skin and making it clear. Mix equal amount of lemon juice and rose water. Apply the mixture on the forehead. Leave it for 20 to 30 minutes. After that wash your face using cold water.
- Face wash using Neem and Tulsi Water – The leaves of neem and tulsi are used for many medicinal purposes. Even people prefer taking bath using neem leaves the boiled water. Here also, you will need to do the same. You have to boil few neem leaves and few tulsi leaves. Boil it until the water becomes half. After that strain the neem and tulsi leaf and store the water in a container and keep it in the refrigerator. Daily wash your forehead using this mixture of neem and tulsi boiled water. Do it for around 3 to 4 times every day to see a better result.
- Eggs – Applying egg white on forehead acne helps in drying up the acne and it also heals the affected area quickly. So, take egg white and apply it on the affected area for getting quick relief and rid from the forehead acne.
- Green Tea Extract – Green Tea can also benefit us in many ways. Applying green tea extracts on forehead acne will reduce the bacterial effect and helps in curing forehead pimples. This happens because of its antioxidant, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory property. Take a few drops of green tea extract and apply it on forehead pimples. Leave it like that only. Using this method every day till the forehead pimples do not go away.
- Turmeric Powder and Coriander Juice – We all know the benefits of turmeric for our skin and health. It is also one of the ingredients being used for the treatment of acne for many years. And it is because it kills the bacteria which gives birth to acne. Add turmeric powder to coriander juice and make a paste of it. Apply this paste on your forehead pimples and leave it overnight. Wash your face in the morning. But remember one thing that turmeric may turn your face yellowish if left for long hours.
If you are not allergic to any of the ingredients mentioned above, then you can use it without any worry for curing your forehead acne. But if you are allergic to any ingredient, we suggest you not to use it or consult a dermatologist first before using any home remedy.
Change in Diet Can Cure Pimples!
We have read in causes that even the unhealthy diet and improper digestion can also be the reason for pimples or acne on the forehead. Here, we will suggest you some diet, using which you can get rid of forehead pimples. Let’s see what the changes you need to bring in your diet to have forehead free of acne.
- No or fewer dairy products consumption – Dairy product do lead to breakouts on any part of your face including your forehead. It is believed and has been studied also, that dairy products bring change in hormones and affect the body hormones adversely. Even, there are many people allergic to dairy products and consuming the dairy products may cause forehead acne. It is better to avoid dairy products and if you are not able to completely reduce the consumption of dairy products, you should at least consume less. And when we say dairy products, so it includes all the dairy products. Like milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, milk cream, sour cream, powdered milk, canned milk, condensed milk, milk-made desserts, milk-made ice-creams, etc.
- Say No to sugar or less consumption of sugar – In causes only we mentioned, how a sugar-related drink, or eatable or any product can affect your blood sugar level causing forehead acne. So, either say no to sugar or consuming less sugar-related products.
- Include Low Glycaemic Food – As per a study, including low glycaemic food in the diet helps in reducing the problem of pimples up to a great extent. And the reason behind this is that Low Glycaemic food slowly releases the sugar in the blood. There are many Low – GI foods that you can include in your diet. Like nuts, bran cereals, oats, many vegetables, yogurt, beans, legumes, brown rice, etc.
- Include food rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acids – There are many food items which have Omega-3 Fatty Acids in them. Like salmon, whitefish, flaxseeds, chia seeds, walnuts, avocados, etc. The food rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acids helps in controlling the production of oil. And that is why they are good for forehead acne, as they will help in less production of oil on the skin’s surface.
- Include food rich in Vitamin A and D – Consuming food rich in Vitamin A and Vitamin D also helps in getting rid of pimples on the forehead. It is because, the Vitamin A rich food have antioxidants present in them, and Vitamin D rich food have anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties. Both help in boosting the immune system and reduces the production of oil. That is why we are suggesting you have this food in your diet. Like sweet potato, broccoli, spinach, apricots, salmon, oysters, meat, eggs, pumpkin, legumes, mushrooms, etc.
By bringing these changes in your diet, you will not only be able to control the cane of forehead but on other parts of the face also.
Prescribed Medicines To Cure Acne
Many times, we are not able to cope with this forehead acne by using home remedies, so we suggest you go and see a dermatologist at that moment. Even people who have many forehead pimples should also take prescribed medicines for forehead acne. Here, we will give you info about some of the prescribed medicines, which generally dermatologists suggest for forehead acne.
- Retinoids – One of the effective treatments for the forehead acne. This prescribed medicine helps in lowering the inflammation and are also responsible for clearing and unclogging the pores. There are many Retinoids being suggested by the dermatologists for the forehead acne treatment. When most of the treatments do not work on forehead acne, this is recommended.
- Salicylic Acid – There are many cleansers available in the market which have salicylic acid present in them. The salicylic acid helps in cleaning the excess sebum from the skin. It also helps in reducing the inflammation of the skin because of the exfoliation.
- Benzoyl Peroxide – It is also found in many over the counter prescribed treatments Serum and Cleanser. The benzoyl peroxide present in different serums helps in exfoliating the skin properly by eliminating the bacteria which causes forehead acne.
- Antibiotics – There are antibiotics also being given for the treatment of acne. Both topical and oral antibiotics are helpful in the treatment of forehead acne. It helps in fighting big and large acne also, which are in the form of a cyst. These antibiotics are quite effective when it comes to eliminating bacteria and they also prevent acne formation on the forehead.
We would like to give you one advice, that always takes these medicines on prescription only from a dermatologist.
How to Prevent Forehead Acne?
As the saying goes, that Prevention is better than cure, so here we are also giving you some tips to prevent the Forehead Acne. Let’s check out these tips.
- Do not touch your face again and again, as by doing so you let the bacteria spread on your face. And this further leads to forehead acne or skin infection also.
- Try not to wear headbands and hats, as they may develop skin rashes and forehead acne also.
- Always clean up your makeup before you go to bed. Because make-up can also clog your pores and can also cause itchiness.
- Keep your hair or your bangs away from your forehead, as the infected hair follicles, the oil & dandruff from the hair, and also the sweat under the bangs can lead to forehead pimples.
- Try to use oil-free moisturizer or cream on your forehead or skin.
- Make sure you use cleanser two times in a day for cleaning your face.
- If your hair gets oily quickly, then wash it 2 to 3 times in a week using a good medicated shampoo.
- Do not scratch your skin out of irritation or itchiness. And do not pick the pimples on your skin, as it may spread more bacteria and will leave a scar also.
- Do not stay out for a long time under the sun.
- Drink more water and a healthy diet avoiding sugar and carbs.
We hope that with the help of the above article, we are able to provide you with the complete info on the forehead acne and how to get rid of it. We request you to not take any medicines mentioned here as a medical prescription, until and unless you do not consult your doctor or dermatologist.